Sunday, August 1, 2010

Yes we have no Mayo!


Saturday mornings in Toledo, OH there is a radio station that plays all the old tunes I listened to as a kid while at my Grandfather's home. Well I heard the old tune "Yes We Have No Bananas" a novelty song by Frank Silver and Irving Cohn from the 1922 Broadway revue "Make It Snappy", and sung by Eddie Cantor. As I started making some tuna salad today and reached for the empty jar of mayo, the tune hit me like a bolt of lightening. Now what? Yes we have no mayo! How do you make one of America's favorite lunch sandwich proteins without mayo? So I tried to think of what to substitute for the over used mayo. Maybe a lemon vinaigrette with some dry dill weed would work. Then the creative juices started to flow. The frig always has Bleu Cheese dressing or Ranch dressing for the picking. Add a little Parmesan cheese and you have a winner. Spice it up with some diced Peppadew peppers and onions. Add a slice of pepperjack cheese and make a grilled tuna melt! Now there is a song to sing. Blog your favorite alternative for mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment