Monday, July 19, 2010

Do restaurants really want feedback?


Feedback...Is it wanted?
INSIDE SCOOP...The Bay Area Source for Breaking Restaurant News

Communication between customers and restaurant owners should be open and direct, yet that’s not always the case. I’m frequently copied after the fact on letters or emails sent to restaurants when the owners refuse to respond; some of them are very successful restaurants. Here is a recent email from a reader wondering whether restaurants even want to listen:

I started a Yelp account a while ago as some friends of mine and co-workers wanted to know what I thought about places. I didn’t write many reviews, and they were evenly placed across the spectrum, and I was filtered out.

Anyway, I don’t really care that much for having people read my thoughts, but frequently I would like to let a restaurant know what I enjoyed, what I thought could have been better, or to say thanks. I wouldn’t ever send flatly negative criticism, and I don’t think it’s appropriate to point something out unless you have a possible suggestion for improvement.

I noticed that Acme Burgerhaus has a feedback system where you can text them immediately. I wish more restaurants would take up this system. Additionally, my question is: do restaurants even want to hear directly from customers unless it is a serious misstep or a transportive experience?

It’s stupid for any restaurant to ignore customer complaints or praise, but most of the time, people are only motivated to write after a negative experience. In this climate, customers like the one who wrote above are golden; they aren’t really looking for revenge or paybacks, but simply want to help.

Used to be the restaurants could file the complaint in the trash, but now everyone is a reviewer and can Yelp their grievances. Many restaurant chefs and owners also have Twitter and Facebook accounts, which become avenues for making your voice heard. Also, just about every restaurant has a website with contact information. However, how they respond is all over the board.

About 18 months ago Julian Guthrie wrote a story about Yelp, including how Doug Washington of Anchor & Hope responded to a negative review. He was so upset, he tracked down the reviewer at his office and asked him to explain. It may be a little in your face, but Washington and others take these criticisms seriously. Of course, not everyone does.



For restaurateurs: What makes you pay attention or ignore an email?

For consumers: If you’ve complained, or praised a restaurant with a direct letter or email, how has that been received?

No comments:

Post a Comment